Total Visitors

Saturday 23 April 2011

Closet Inspirations: wardrobe staples



It's such a beautiful day today - a rarity in Vancity! So warm and sunny outside...and we all know how much iheartsunnydays, lol.

So I spent half of the day attempting to study for finals. I really did try, but everytime I read a page of my notes, I'd fall asleep for half an hour. At this rate, I'm going to need a few more months of "studying" time to prep myself for finals.

So I spent a couple of hours just cleaning my room and reorganizing stuff. I really wish I had a bigger closet because I'm running out of places to store my clothes. I've accumulated quite a bit of stuff over the years.. and I just can't bear to part with any of them :( I should be getting my own hoarders clothing edition episode. Anyway, it really made me wonder, how much clothes does one girl need to be able to put together a sufficient number of outfits and without seeming like she's wearing the same thing everyday? My question inspired me to make a list of wardrobe staples that I believe every girl should have in their closet. Each item should stand the test of time and should transcend from season to season. Here is my top ten list of wardrobe staples:


1. Basic V-neck shirt

This is the simplist and most versatile piece. It's so basic but can be worn with almost everything! Dress it up by tucking it into a skirt, putting a blazer over it, and adding some statement jewelery. You can obviously dress it down by pairing it with some laid-back jeans and a flannel shirt.



2. Blazer

Put one of these on and you'll look instantly put-together! No, don't wear it with a collared shirt unless you work 9-5 at an office. Instead, roll up the sleeves a bit and wear it over looser shirts or even a spring dress for a more casual look.



3. Leggings

This is probably the most worn item in my closet. I literally live in leggings. They're uber comfy and go with everything! However, a longer top is a must imo.




4. Dark skinny jeans

If I can only wear one pair of jeans for the rest of my life, I'd make sure that they're a pair of dark blue skinny leg denim. I know a lot of people are iffy about this cut just because they could be very unforgiving. If that's the case, a pair of straight leg jeans can also give a very similar look.



5. LBD (little black dress)

This one is classic and a good LBD can last you for many years. My opinion is to go for a simple silouette and a clean cut. Black's always great because it can hide any bloating (lol) or if you don't want your dress to take attention away from your accessories.


6. Khaki colored trench coat

My number one choice would be this burberry one! However, due to the crazy price tag of $2000+, it's good to know that there are many similar options out there. I know Zara comes out with trench coats almost every season for a good price.



7. Comfy flats

Sick of wearing sneakers and looking like a 14-year old girl? Well switch to a pair of basic flats and you almost get the same level of comfort. Go for a good quality pair and you can walk for miles in them! Black is always versatile but don't limit yourself!



8. Boots

A pair that is mid-caf in length is the most flattering. Go for a classic neutral colour such as black or brown and you will be able to wear them season after season.



9. Neutral Coloured Handbag

There is nothing better than a soft, buttery leather bag! For you animal lovers, I'm sure a faux-leather one would do just fine. Look for one with an extra longer strap so you can wear it like a messenger when you need both of your hands free. To withstand the test of time, go for a simple style and for functionality reasons, look for a medium sized one so you can carry all your essentials! I love the shape and colour of this Prada one. It's absolutely perfect! I've been on the hunt for a long time for a similar, well-priced one.



10. Simple heels

Black heels are a definite must. However, I'm starting to see nude coloured pumps pop up everywhere I go. I'm not too sure if they're just a trend or if they are here to stay. But I won't disagree that the nude colour is equally flattering and they make your legs look miles longer! That's a plus for me and all the shorties out there :)




I'm sure you all noticed a pattern with the overly boring neutral colour palette! That being said, I really do believe in building a basic wardobe that way and then finding more fun and trendy colourful pieces to add to it. I hope you're all now somewhat inspired to start creating your own staple wardrobe!


Happy Easter long weekend, everyone :)







No comments:

Post a Comment